Find Posts By Topic

My apartment doesn’t have a food waste cart. Isn’t it the law?

By City of Seattle law, all Seattle apartment and condo buildings must subscribe to a food and yard waste cart, and the cart needs to be available for residents to use. There are a few cases where a building has an exemption but most buildings qualify.

If you can’t find the green cart at your property, first ask your manager. If that doesn’t help, call 206-684-7665 and ask for assistance. Your name will remain anonymous but we will notify the manager of their responsibility to provide a cart for anyone in the building to use.

Educational assistance will also be offered. You may wish to tell the manager that there is a one-time $100 utility bill credit through the Friend of Recycling and Composting program. Find out more at