Find Posts By Topic

Required Composting for Apartments & Condos

All properties are required by law to have food waste service by September 1.

To start service:

  • Sign up online.
  • Call 684-7665 to speak with a Seattle Public Utilities representative.
  • Call 684-8717, press #1, and request an information packet and free education materials.

Properties of five or more units with food waste collection can qualify for a one-time $100 rebate by signing up a Friend of Recycling and Composting (FORC) steward who educates residents and monitors carts and containers to ensure correct sorting of materials.

Free FORC trainings are scheduled through November 2011. FORCs who attend received carry-out buckets for property residents, as well as other useful giveaways. Only FORCS fully signed up through SPU are eligible. Sign up online.